The Moffatt-Ladd House & Garden (1763), one of America's finest Georgian mansions, and home of two declarations of independence. The Garden was laid out in its present form by Alexander Hamilton Ladd in the late nineteenth century. His daily records reveal that he obtained plants from the gardens of his mother and grandmother and that he was an enthusiastic bulb gardener.
A 300-foot axis path flanked by formal gardens leads from the house up four terraces to a wrought-iron gate at the rear boundary. Grass steps lead to the upper flower beds.
An English damask rose planted in 1768 by Sarah Catherine Mason Moffatt and the enormous horse chestnut tree planted in 1776 by General William Whipple upon his return from signing the Declaration of Independence can still be seen today. The horse chestnut tree was designated the Millennium Landmark Tree for the State of New Hampshire in 2000, and is on the National Register of Historic Trees.